When you take on the role of an entrepreneur, you take on the responsibility of leadership. To be successful, you must be a good leader. While striving to be a good leader, some pick up strategies that backfire. So here’s how you will avoid being the Leadership’s Dirty Dozen :
1. Mr Smart Ass – He will know everything that is to be known. He will scoff ideas from his juniors or dump his better sounding ideas on them. The rehab – Instead of merely dumping the idea on the juniors lead them to the idea, help them realize. They will not only understand your perspective but may hit upon a lateral solution you did not even dream of.
2. Mr But Man – He will appreciate your idea and continue singing your praises, and then hit upon the big But. The but is a slow surgical strike instead of a direct stab. The rehab – Get to the point, don’t blunt your blow.
3. Mr Story Man – He will always have a relevant story of anecdote of his life. He will sing his own praises and make his juniors feel puny and insignificant. The Rehab – When you are rose, your fragrance will permeate and fill the air. You need a dose of modesty.
4. Mr Angry Man – He will shout his suggestions and yell and throw a tantrum. The Rehab – Along with a rage management class, also try this: move away from an explosive situation. Get back to the situation when you are saner and your blood pressure is normal.
5. Mr Secret Keeper – He will never share vital information. Even if that information is important for your company or the growth of a particular junior. The Rehab – Company first.
6. Mr Me Man – He will keep all the accolades for himself. He will negate or not acknowledge the contribution of his team or juniors. The Rehab – It’s a team effort. Encourage your team with rewards and recognition.
7. Mr Big Fat Liar – He will not only keep the accolades to himself, but he will also take credit for another’s accomplishment. The Rehab – You will get caught. If you want respect, give due credit where it belongs.
8. Mr Justification – He will be full of excuses for not doing what he was supposed to do. He will not get respect and will be seen as dishonest. The Rehab – Don’t justify your mistakes. Work towards resolving them.
9. Mr Unapologetic – He will never say sorry. The Rehab – when you realize you have goofed up, say sorry immediately and say it like you mean it!
10. Mr Deaf – He will not listen to his juniors. He will be indifferent and not heed their words. The Rehab – Make eye contact and really listen. You may hear something you like.
11. Mr Grim Reaper – He will reap whoever brings him bad news. He will not understand the intensity of the news. He will not think of solutions. The Rehab – Look at the issues and quickly resolve them.
12. Mr Lone Wolf – He will walk alone. He will quickly discard anyone who doesn’t agree with him or who doesn’t serve his purpose. People are always dispensable for him. The Rehab – A good team is indispensable.