Once more than often you come up with an idea that can transform your business or work life. And simultaneously you come across the horde of people ready to tell you your idea sucks or people who can easily be labelled – the negative brigade. They drain you and your confidence. They affect your psyche and confuse you. They cause you to lose your focus and stray from your chosen path. It is challenging to face the negative brigade; but not impossible. There are ways to stop the negative brigade by bringing down their offenses while you build up your defences.
The Bakers Dozen against the Negative Brigade:
- Print the press coverage. Send out press releases; write articles, blogs, or even a book. Talk at length about your ideas. People seldom challenge concepts they see in print.
- Change your league. The negative brigade are people who don’t understand your concepts, they don’t understand your vision. They are the people who will never take an ounce of risk to achieve their dreams. Move away from them. Choose a league of achievers who have walked their own paths. Draw inspiration from their gainful vibes.
- Take a bet with the negative brigade. This could inspire you to defeat their empty words with your positive actions. Make a wild bet; they will probably vanish with their negative words.
- Understand the emotions. The negative brigade are people fraught with negative emotions. They do not have the courage nor the positivity to achieve anything. They operate from a place of utter emotional chaos and negative vibes. They are probably envious that you will succeed and prove them wrong. Acknowledge this.
- Judge them. Are they successful? If not pay no attention to them. Will they form your customer base or be a part of it? Then you pay attention to what they are saying. Bring in changes they are pointing at. When the number of opponents is big, then you pay attention to their words. Try to see things from their perspective for a while. Judge them if their making sense.
- Remember, it is not always possible to make predictions. Predictions can sometimes go awry, and how! There are various permutations and combinations affecting any natural or unnatural factors influencing business, and not even the best business pundit can make the best ever accurate predictions. Consequently, no one can predict if your concept or offering or product will do badly. You are in control of your business and its health. You make decisions every day that change the future of your business; no predictions can foresee the challenges you will face or the solutions you will implement.
- Put forth the proof of your success. Negative people talk without facts. Show them how you have succeeded earlier and will succeed in the future.
- Get them to support you. Before they can list out the worst case scenarios, you do it; even if they sound bizarre. Changes are, they will first get humoured, and then they will support you.
- Avoid the conflict. Do not argue or challenge them. Instead, merely concede to their point of view and then place your own.
- Build your confidence. Don’t buckle down. They will try to psyche you, if you let them. Concentrate on your self-belief and your vision.
- As you face the negative brigade so does your completion. They have their own set of antagonists who are trying to bring them down. Hold on and keep moving.
- Fight and argue with facts. When you speak from a place of awareness, statistical facts, and figures you will be able to quieten the negative brigade.
- The last and by no means the least – ask them if they have ever succeeded at what you are trying to do. They have not. That’s why they are challenging you. When you make them realize they just talking through their hats and have no actual experience, they will walk away.